Friday, April 24, 2009

Inside my hotel room








This is my room. See the nice workspace and the 15-inch TV? It has a tiled floor and a ceiling fan and an airconditioner. There is a armoire that I can hang my close in and the bed might look like King size, but it is really two single pushed together. It is relatively comfortable.


The mosquito net over the bed is to protect me of course. There are quite of few diseases that still exist in the Congo. Among them, Yellow Fever, Malaria, and Denge Fever. I was inoculated from Yellow Fever (requirement), I take malaria pills, which actually just reduce the symptoms if I happen to get it, and there is no vaccination for dengue fever. We take great measures to not get bitten by mosquitos. Actually, I've never seen a mosqito in my room and seen very few at all. It isn't mosquito season but we continue to take precautions.




Here is my view from bed. I don't really didn't spend too much time watching TV in bed.









Here are a couple of shots of the bathroom. Note the hanging light bulb. There are two light bulbs in this room which makes it the only room suitable for reading. Ths water pressure in the shower is good. There is hot and cold water.




Note the bottle of water on the little shelf. I used bottled water to brush my teeth and I never put tap water into my mouth. I have to keep reminding myself not to drink the water when I take my daily malaria pill and when I take a shower.




Here is my refrigerator. They keep is stocked with water and soda. They do have an Orange Fanta here that I've tried. Note the two cans of deet...mosquito spray. The routine is...I come home from the office, spray the whole room with the spray, and then go eat dinner. When I return, the fog from the spray has mostly settled and I can breath comfortably.

1 comment:

Chad said...

Everyone I've talked to agrees, it would be next to impossible to remember NEVER to drink any tap water!